Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baptism of the Lord


Baptism of the lord

Today the Church celebrates the feast of the baptism of the Lord. When Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan by John the Baptist, the gospels say that the heavens opened and there came a voice saying, “this is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased. Listen to him”
Jesus began his public ministry, right after baptism, calling people to be his disciples and healing the sick, and preaching the good news to all.

Once a catholic priest, an Anglican minister and a protestant pastor met together to talk about bats problems in their churches. The Anglican minister said, “I tried all my best to chase the bats away from my church but they keep coming and I don’t know what to do”. Then the protestant minister said, “I even took all the bats outside of the town and threw them away but they keep coming. I don’t know what to do” And at last the Catholic priest looked at them and said, “I used to have bats problem in my church but not any more. They were all gone” the Anglican and the protestant ministers looked at the catholic priest and asked, “Please tell us what you did?” He looked at them and said, “I just baptized them all and they never came back”>

Baptism means Rebirth: through the sacrament of baptism one becomes a child of God. The original sin is being washed away by baptism and he becomes a new being.
Baptism means initiation: through the sacrament of baptism one is being initiated into the Church. He becomes a member of the holy Catholic Church that was built by the love and kindness of our lord Jesus Christ.
Baptism means consecration: Through the sacrament of Baptism, one is being consecrated into the church given power and authority to go everywhere to preach the good news of our lord Jesus Christ and let them know that God never stops loving them and thus bring them back into the fold.
Baptism means empowerment: through the sacrament of baptism, one is being empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Conclusion: on the day of our baptism, God said to us, “you are my beloved children with whom I am well pleased. As we are celebrating the feast of the baptism of the lord, let us recommit ourselves to keep our baptismal promises namely loving God and our neighbors. Amen.

No comments: